Checkout these 11 features to consider when choosing a shopping cart.
- A Web-based administrative page: If your electronic shopping cart software has a Web-based managers' administration page, then you can work on your shopping cart (add products, change prices, and so on) from anywhere.
- Associate/affiliate program compatible: Someone else should be able to put your link on their Web site and sell your products and services for a commission.
- Up-sell module: E-commerce shopping cart software should give you the capability to "up-sell" your customer to a related product or service.
- Broadcast capability: The cart should have integrated e-mail capabilities that can allow you to sort customers, and e-mail them immediately.
- Integrated auto-responders: Sequential auto-responders are one of the most powerful sales tools on the Internet today, and your shopping cart software should let you send e-mails to customers and prospects automatically. Only the most advanced carts would have this function integrated.
- Hard and soft products: A good cart will let a customer buy a hard product, that you have to ship, on the same order form as a soft product, such as an electronic e-book that the customer can download as soon as the order has been approved.
- Calculate shipping and tax: Make sure your cart has several options on how to calculate basic shipping charges.
- Customizable "return to shopping" pages: The capability to send your customers after they add a particular item to their cart can mean a big difference in the amount of money they spend with you. Sophisticated shopping cart software allows you to customize the "return to shopping cart" button so it takes the customer to a related product of their choice.
- Promotion functionality: Be sure there's a way to offer discounts for multiple purchases or to offer "one free when you buy three" or similar special offers.
- E-mail confirmation: The shopping cart should be able to send an e-mail confirmation automatically to the customer and automatically generate a receipt for you to put in the package if you are shipping a product.
- Multiple order and drop-ship e-mail capability: You should be able to e-mail suppliers who ship directly to your customer (drop-ship) without including the customer's credit card information.
|Do you have a comment or question about this article or other e-commerce topics in general? Speak out in the SmallBusinessComputing.com E-Commerce Forum. Join the discussion today!|
Nemertes Customer Loyalty Report This must-read report features independent research conducted by Nemertes in the spring of 2014. A demanding group of 500 IT professionals were...
Multi-Channel Customer Experience: The Next Battleground for Mid-Size Businesses A multi-channel contact center is a must for organizations of all sizes. Best-in-class customer service organizations continue to raise the bar in...
Magic Quadrant for Content-Aware Data Loss Prevention This Gartner Magic Quadrant is for enterprise content-aware DLP products. Gartner defines content-aware DLP technologies as those that perform...
Building a Layered Defense Against Data Breaches Live Event Date: December 16, 2014 @ 2:00 p.m. ET / 11:00 a.m. PT According to the Privacy Rights Clearinghouse, over 224 publicly-disclosed data...