It's time to spruce up your site for the holiday season, so here's a 10-task checklist to get you ready.
|» Prep Plan for the Holiday Rush|
To help, here are 10 tips from Demandware's Vice President of Marketing, Jamus Driscoll. Ten Holiday Prep Tips for Web Shops:
- Make sure your customers can find you. Eighty percent of shopping trips start with the search box, and that percentage increases during the holidays. Look through your search logs from last November forward to identify ways to improve site search effectiveness. Typical fixes include:
- Adding to synonym/hypernym (for example, "musical instrument" is a hypernym of "guitar" because musical instruments include guitars) dictionaries;
- Enhancing product descriptions (adding relevant keywords);
- Expanding product assortment (consider adding product lines that customers seem to want but you don't yet carry in time for the holidays).
- Add "wish list" functionality. By helping customers create the list and linking other people to that list, you not only convert a "wish" to a completed sale, you reduce returns and increase customer satisfaction.
- Promote gift certificates and gift cards. Promote gift certificates on the homepage and other frequently visited landing pages, and add the ability to redeem them to the checkout process. Gift certificate purchases have grown by leaps and bounds over the past 10 years.
- Offer gift wrapping. This service adds convenience and creates differentiation from other retailers. It also helps your customers save time during the busy holiday season, which will ultimately build customer loyalty.
- Allowing customers to create desired "outfits" or bundles of multiple products, and saving/sending these to friends and family.
- Enabling/encouraging customers to post favored products to their Facebook or MySpace profiles, or to vertical networking sites like StyleFeeder.
- Making use of instant messaging, mobile marketing/advertising and RSS as channels for holiday marketing and promotional campaigns.
|Do you have a comment or question about this article or other e-commerce topics in general? Speak out in the SmallBusinessComputing.com E-Commerce Forum. Join the discussion today!|
Integrate audio devices with contact center software for striking insight and reporting. (And enhance the customer experience while you're at it!) Date: Thursday, December 03, 2015 Time: 11:00 AM Eastern Standard Time Duration: 1 hour WHY ATTEND? Learn how to understand what is happening...
Worldwide Enterprise Social Networks and Online Communities 2015-2019 Forecast and 2014 Vendor Shares The market for enterprise social networks (ESNs) evolved significantly in 2014. Online communities to support customers, employees, partners, and...
WSTR - Website Security Threat Report - 2015 - Part 2 We hope you enjoyed part 1 of the Symantec WSTR 2015. Now download part 2 for the latest on the fast-evolving world of targeted attacks –...
Are You Using Mobility to Stay Competitive? Mobility is a game changer. It has the potential to change the way employees work, the way businesses engage with customers, and the direction your...