It's time to spruce up your site for the holiday season, so here's a 10-task checklist to get you ready.
|» Prep Plan for the Holiday Rush|
To help, here are 10 tips from Demandware's Vice President of Marketing, Jamus Driscoll. Ten Holiday Prep Tips for Web Shops:
- Make sure your customers can find you. Eighty percent of shopping trips start with the search box, and that percentage increases during the holidays. Look through your search logs from last November forward to identify ways to improve site search effectiveness. Typical fixes include:
- Adding to synonym/hypernym (for example, "musical instrument" is a hypernym of "guitar" because musical instruments include guitars) dictionaries;
- Enhancing product descriptions (adding relevant keywords);
- Expanding product assortment (consider adding product lines that customers seem to want but you don't yet carry in time for the holidays).
- Add "wish list" functionality. By helping customers create the list and linking other people to that list, you not only convert a "wish" to a completed sale, you reduce returns and increase customer satisfaction.
- Promote gift certificates and gift cards. Promote gift certificates on the homepage and other frequently visited landing pages, and add the ability to redeem them to the checkout process. Gift certificate purchases have grown by leaps and bounds over the past 10 years.
- Offer gift wrapping. This service adds convenience and creates differentiation from other retailers. It also helps your customers save time during the busy holiday season, which will ultimately build customer loyalty.
- Allowing customers to create desired "outfits" or bundles of multiple products, and saving/sending these to friends and family.
- Enabling/encouraging customers to post favored products to their Facebook or MySpace profiles, or to vertical networking sites like StyleFeeder.
- Making use of instant messaging, mobile marketing/advertising and RSS as channels for holiday marketing and promotional campaigns.
|Do you have a comment or question about this article or other e-commerce topics in general? Speak out in the SmallBusinessComputing.com E-Commerce Forum. Join the discussion today!|
How Cloud and Mobile are Perfect Partners For UC Unified communications (UC) is at a tipping point today, thanks to the game-changing trends of mobile apps and cloud computing. Until recently,...
Live Chat Comparison: A Goal-driven Approach to Chat Vendor Selection Selecting a live chat vendor can feel like evaluating dizzying lists of features -- each feature-set will help achieve a goal. But the challenge is...
Best Practices in Detecting and Preventing Contact Center Fraud for Financial Services Firms Live Event Date: June 30, 2015 @ 1:00 p.m. ET / 10:00 a.m. PT Mitigating voice-facilitated fraud at contact centers is one of the biggest...
Scaling Okta to 10 Billion Users Cloud-based applications need to be secure and Okta is an identity network and platform that allows you to safely scale these tools overtime. Read...